While standing outside my building and talking with a friend, a relatively young gentleman approaches us asking if he "could ask us a question?". It is at that moment that I recognize this man as the same homeless man that approached me once a few weeks ago, and another time before about 2 months ago. At this point, I know that he is going to ask for money, so as he inquires from us his default question, "If you had the opportunity to help out someone who is homeless, would you?" I already knew my answer. So in looking away from him, to express my disinterest, I shake my head 'No' and say I would not. At which point he becomes offended and questions my friend "how do I have the nerve" to tell my friend not to help him. I reply, "I'm not telling him anything", and both I and my friend depart as the homeless man continues cursing me and calling me "a bad black man!"
Look homeless man, this goes out to you and to the rest of the homeless people of DC. Rather than accosting the students of one of the most expensive universities in the country, how about you go to the numerous local homeless shelters in DC and use those facilities that are in place to help you. This individual, in particular, irritates me because on our first encounter I graciously gave him the last two dollars I had in my pocket. The Second time, I reminded him that I already gave him money and that "I'm just a college student so all of my money goes to school."
I understand, I have been blessed and overall fortunate in having a generous family, intelligence, and all the other providential opportunities that have come my way and I am grateful for all of it. And those reasons do not exclude that I do treat all people the same and that I hold judgment for any person I meet until a reason is given. And this gentleman has given me way more than one, simply by judging me when he is the one who needs the help.
Tonight was the last straw, I am no longer giving money to homeless people, the fact that they cannot show decent courtesy in remembering the person who, "helped them out", is hypocritical to the message they are trying to tell people who 'have money'. The "Have" vs. the "Have-nots" needs to be extended to include the "Have", the "Have-nots", and the "Barely-haves". To call me a "bad black man" is an outlandish accusation coming from a man who cannot even take a few seconds to put his ownself in the shoes of another. He knows nothing about me, he doesn't know that until recently I had two unemployed parents, and now I still have one, I lived on welfare for 2 years, and that I've worked anywhere from twenty to sixty hours a week since I was fifteen, just so I can go to school and enjoy my life.
So after flicking the guy off and ranting on this blog, I know that I may be a "bad black man" but he's a "downright degenerate to the black community, the working class, and to all other actual homeless people that are truly working to better their own lives and the lives of their family."
Until life throws me for a loop again,
DJ
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment